Wednesday, May 27, 2015

San Diego!


M and I had a busy start to the month of May. To kickoff things right, we first celebrated Roz's upcoming marriage to Scott with a bridal shower. Samantha, (Jeremy's cousin Ryan's wife) hosted it with our friend Alex at Sam's beautiful house, and it was a gorgeous tea party themed event. 


Me, Amy, Kristie, Lisa, Molly and Judy

Roz our beautiful Bride, with hostesses Sam and Alex

The day after the shower, Mackenzie and I headed off for our big week long adventure! We were supposed to go on a family vacation to San Diego, but unfortunately Jeremy couldn't make it after all due to work. But us girls decided to make the most of it and have a fun mommy/baby vacation anyway. Although Daddy was sorely missed. I thought long and hard about it and decided to drive instead of fly. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to bring everything I needed, and this way we got to see a lot of our friends on our drive. 

Our first stop was Bakersfield where one of my favorite people in the whole world now lives. Yesica moved there with her husband earlier this year and we miss them! It was a great chance for M to play with her son William, and for Yesi and I to catch up. It was one of my favorite parts of the trip. 


William (almost 2) & Mackenzie (almost 2.5)

Doc Mackenzie gives W a checkup!

M loved the fountains in Bakersfield


We spent one night in Bakersfield then continued our drive south. We stopped for dinner in Santa Monica so I could see my friends from UCLA grad school. Mackenzie got to meet my friends Brett and Heli, and Brett's daughter Adlee.

Brett, me and Heli

M loved playing with Adlee (almost 3)
I was most nervous about the drive from Santa Monica to San Diego, since it would be late and I was driving to a place I'd never been to before, but it turned out to be just fine. A full moon and the freeway with a sleeping baby in the back. Pretty peaceful. 

The moon was huge! This photo does not do it justice...
We arrived around 10pm, and luckily had a bellman help us into our vacation condo with ALL of our junk. M was a trooper and woke up from her snooze in a good mood. She loved our big king bed and had to make sure to give it a few good jumps before going back to sleep.

I sleep in your bed mommy?


Our first stop was the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park, a "sister" park to the Zoo, if you will. It was located a lot closer to where we were staying (in Escondido) so I thought we'd do it first. It was a great day. The weather wasn't hot, but perfect for strolling, and with no crowds at all. 


Gorgeous hot air balloon you can take up to see the view
We were so lucky to see this Tiger up close! He was interested in another tiger across the way so kept pacing back and forth in front of us. M was fascinated. 




Selfie! Cheese!

M loved this little playground

Hello Mr Bat!

Baby goats running up the rocks


Goat petting Zoo. This one was really fat!

I brush you!



M loved the safari tram that ran around the park




Cheetahs!



A Kangaroo, up close!


My dad has two sisters who live in Escondido, so M and I met up with them for dinner after the safari park. Luckily M had a nap and she did very well. They even brought her a nice dolly, and then she played with napkins the whole time. It was good to see you Margie and Mary!




The next day we went to Seaworld. I know Seaworld has had some bad press lately. I have kinda been avoiding the blackfish movie because I knew that we would go while in San Diego. The park definitely seems dated, and I preferred the Zoo and Safari park, but man, those whales were COOL!





M gets silly with the fishes

Swinging from the rail is the best part!

Trying to entertain her while we wait for a show to start
M didn't care much for the shows we went to. Actually, it was kind of difficult getting her to wait patiently for them to start, and by the time they did, she wasn't very interested. All she really wanted to do was pull her hat over her face and walk around. Silly girl!

I can't see!



Amazing killer whale jumps!



The biggest hit of Seaworld for M was Elmo's play land, where they had a great toddler mat area that was bouncy with blocks on it. I gave her a good 45 minutes to run around while I watched her. She had a blast! 





My friend Kristen flew down to join us for the second half of our trip. It was so great having her with me! Another adult! And it was just great catching up and having her get to know my little M better. Thanks for coming Kris!!! Unfortunately the weather got wet and cold the second she arrived. We were hoping to enjoy the pool at our resort, and we did try once, but man was it cold!! 

We went to the Zoo and it rained on us! In San Diego! In May! In a drought! That's luck for you. Kristen went to college in Oregon though, so she's no stranger to wet weather. Plus she's just an easy going adventurous girl, so with her encouragement, we ventured out anyway, and it was fun!


Elephant Butt mommy!


Polar Bears!


Kris gets up close and personal with some birds

The aviarys were so cool. These birds were squabbling the whole time. 

M takes a much needed stroller nap

There's a toucan behind me

Beautiful Peacock roaming the grounds




watching cartoons in our condo

Feeding her dollies


All in all it was a great trip and I'm really glad we went. It was great spending so much time with Mackenzie, and she was such a good girl. She rode in the car with no problems (granted she always got a lot of snacks and toys!) and really enjoyed the parks. We didn't even have any tantrums! I feel like such a lucky mom to have her, she's an easy, fun, wonderful kid!




M rides the train at My-Gym

Playing with a hat and backpack at friend Maeve's house

Cuddling with Grandpa


Lastly, the videos! I now know that M knows what a time out is. I think she's been seeing them going on at school for awhile now, but it's still funny that she's really enforcing them with her toys! She also has been having a blast playing with Gianna (aka, little G) at the park.



No comments:

Post a Comment